Saturday, February 19, 2011

One step down....

Last weekend was our homestudy.  I found myself more stressed about this than I thought I would be.  Overall, I think everything went fine.  Maddie, in all her honesty, told the social worker that the positives of adopting included having another sibling to boss around. She also informed the social worker that the negatives of adopting including her parents being even bossier if there are 3 kids in the house.  The social worker seemed to take this in good humor.  She was also very nice about letting Dylan show her every toy from him room, including his favorite; a personal concert on his drum set.  We are now waiting for the social worker to finish writing up the homestudy.  It will then be sent to the Department of Homeland Security so the U.S. government can process our request to adopt.  After we finish up a bit more paperwork, most of our materials will be ready to be translated and sent to Russia.  I'm hoping this can all take place before the summer! 

We are very blessed by special people in our lives who support us and love us as we travel this journey.  We are very excited and feel a lot of peace about the process.  At the same time, there are understandably moments when I ask myself if we are crazy!  In these moments I am reminded of how God brought us to this path, and of the child waiting for us in Russia.  We cannot wait to hold him or her in our arms!

I ran across an article a few months ago in the Wall Street Journal about the church and adoption.  We found it interesting that our calling seems to be part of a larger movement in the church.  Here is a link to a Wall Street Journal article:  http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703743504575494263102089970.html

No comments:

Post a Comment