Tuesday, September 24, 2013

11 months!

It amazes me that we are approaching the 1 year anniversary of our adoption of Nik.  My plan has been to update this blog at least every month until the 1st year after his adoption.   So, I am nearing the end of my blog updates.

Nik continues to grow and develop in amazing ways.  I took him to see a speech therapist this month through the school district.  We wanted him assessed to see how his speech was developing. The speech therapist was very impressed at his English skills and did not recommend any need for speech therapy. That was encouraging to us to know that Nik is on the right track.  He is able to communicate more and more with us.  Sadly, he remembers almost none of his Russian.

This month, Nik started back to school at the preschool at our church.  He loves his teachers, Ms. Karen and Ms. Becky. He is really happy at school this year. He is going 4 days a week and is eager to go each morning and anxious to tell me about his day when I pick him up. It is exciting to see him happy and well adjusted. 

After a visit to the eye doctor last week, we did learn that Nik is going to need eye surgery. We are doing the surgery next week to help the muscles that control the tracking of his eyes work better.  I'm a little anxious to see him undergo this procedure, but the doctor has assured us it is necessary and will prevent problems in the future. 

On August 28th, we "readopted" Nik in Texas.  This court hearing before a Texas judge contrasted greatly with our court date in Russia  on September 18th  of last year.  As the anniversary of that day came, I was overwhelmed to remember the day we nearly lost Nik forever.  Brent and I have no doubts that God intervened to bring Nik home. 

Here are pictures from this month:

After school treat!

Nik's court hearing!


1st day of school...

NIk is proud of his Cars backpack.




I've officially taught Nik to love shopping!


Nik loves to eat just about anything... sweet potatoes are a favorite.


Learning to fish with dad...


Happy boy!

1 comment: