Wednesday, October 23, 2013

A few words from Dad...

It has been really hard for me to encapsulate this past year.  There are a few truths that stand out to me as having been very evident over the past year.

The first truth is that Nik is where he is meant to be.  Every time I think back over the process of bringing him home, I'll have a random memory of something amazing.  Something that reminds me that he was truly chosen for us.  What I think of most is...elephants.  I know, it sounds crazy, but elephants are a way that God chose to point us to Nik.  I know this begs for an explanation, so here is the short version.  Ann-Marie and I read a book during a particularly tough time during the adoption process.  The book is The Magician's Elephant by Kate DiCamillo.  In the book, a young boy (named Peter...the source of Nik's first name) who had lost his parents is confronted with the impossible news (from a dubious source) that his sister is alive and to find her he must "follow the elephant".  It is a beautiful story of hope.  Ann-Marie and I would often in a difficult situation look at each other and say "we just need to follow the elephant".  While the elephant appeared many times to us throughout the journey, none was more amazing than the first time we met Nik.  I could hardly contain my amazement when I noticed that his shirt had an elephant on it.  Elephants still appear in our home regularly.  Nik's favorite stuffed animal...an elephant.  The only animal Nik asks to see at the zoo...an elephant.

The second truth is that Nik is an amazing boy.  He may be one of the bravest people I have ever met.  Think of all the new experiences that he has had over the past year, some mundane like new foods, some frightening like surgery, and some fun and exciting like swimming.  No matter what the experience, Nik approaches each new thing with confidence that is amazing.  Another one of my favorite memories is of going into his room one morning after we brought him home and finding him repeating to himself "This is my home.  This is my home.  This is my home."  The courage that it must have taken to tackle each new day must have been tremendous.  He doesn't have to repeat that anymore.  It is his home and he knows it.  I love that he knows it.  It means that all my failures over the past year haven't been able to overshadow the truth that he is loved and accepted and that he can trust us.

The third truth is that there is an ongoing battle between good and evil.  I feel like we have been part of that battle in way that I could not have anticipated 18 months ago.  My understanding of Ephesians 6:10-17 has gone to a whole new level. 

"10 Finally, be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power. 11 Put on the full armor of God, so that you can take your stand against the devil’s schemes. 12 For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms. 13 Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand. 14 Stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled around your waist, with the breastplate of righteousness in place, 15 and with your feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace. 16 In addition to all this, take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one. 17 Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God." (NIV)
 
It is clear to me that our adoption of Nik was spiritually opposed.  The process of coming together as a family has been no less so.  When we were finally able to bring Nik home, I thought that the hard part was over.  What I didn't fully realize was that the rescue of Nik's heart was just beginning.  There were times over the past year that I failed to put on my 'armor' and my family suffered for it.  However, the overall picture of the year is that of success.  We are winning the battle for Nik's heart.  He is fighting hard and so are we...fighting hard for the love that we have and for the fruition of the plan that God has set in motion for our family.  Nik's heart is a prize well worth fighting for.  Every time I pick him up at the end of the day and he gives me a big hug, the feeling inside is a feeling of victory.  A feeling that says "Yes, our love did grow today!"  He is my son, I am his dad, I love him, and he loves me.  We win.


Happy Adoption Day Dinner. We had Nik's favorite: Tacos!

What's a celebration without cupcakes?

Yummy!

No comments:

Post a Comment